Monday, June 10, 2013

Last summer of Freedom

It's officially summer and it seems it's going to be a hot one. Yesterday it was 99 degrees! This is Ezias' last summer as a free child. He will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. We are all very excited. One of the items on the check list is to get caught up on his immunization shots. So I scheduled an appointment with the pediatrcian. Since Josh has successfully taken Iosua to his last couple of appointments without me there I decdided to not take time off work to go with Ezias to his appointment. It was an hour or so after his scheduled appointment and I had yet to get an update on how it went. So I texted Josh for an update. He called a few minutes later and starts off by telling me not to panic, everything is alright....which of course I immediately start panicking. He then tells me that Ezias fainted twice and threw up while they were at his appointment and they weren't able to get his shots. OMG, right? So he starts from the beginning and tells me on the drive to the dr office Ezias kept saying he was nervous and that his stomach hurts and that he felt like throwing up. When they got there they called his name to go back and they start taking his mearsurements. He kept telling Josh he didn't feel good and he start to walk to him and collapses. Good thing Josh was there to catch him. They take him to a room and lay him down. He starts to come to and says "I want mommy" (which is the part where I start tearing up at work and feel guilty for not being there). He throws up. Then they try to take his blood pressure but he started freaking out and tensing up which causes him to faint again! At that point they decide not to do the shots and to try again in a couple of days. So we had two days to talk to Ezias and try and prepare him for his next visit. I tell Ezias I will be there when he goes back to hold his hand. We talk to him several times to reassure him that it will be fast and he will only feel a tiny pinch. Josh asks him, Son, you gonna be ok?, and he responds, "yeah cause mommy will be there". So we go back and the nursing staff have a giant coloring book and crayons for him and a coupon for a free ice cream from Artic Circle. They are great there. He seems fine up until they bring out the numbing lotion and needles. He starts freaking out but we are able to keep him calm. I had him sit on my lap and covered his eyes while they gave him the shots. It went a lot better the second time around and I was very relieved. That same day Ezias called me and told me that he got his kindergarten packet. He is so excited to start school.
So this incident has taught us and helped me realize a few things: 1.) Don't tell the kids when they have doctor appointments. This will only give them time to freak themselves out 2) I hope in the near future I can be a stay-at-home mom or just be able to work part-time. With Ezias starting school I want to be able to drop him off in the mornings and be waiting at home when he gets off to hear all about his day. I don't want to have to drop Iosua off everyday at a babysitters. I would rather be the one to take care of him. After this incident this is probably the first time I felt like I am really needed at home.
I feel changes will be happening in our near future. Changes for all in our little family. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. And here are a couple of pics to kick off the summer batch of photos.


Spiritual Glasses - I could use some of those!


Iosua's first time in the pool and he loved it!

2 comments: